Roscommon and District Football League Masters Oscar Traynor Cup

Roscommon and District Football League Round-up May 8th

Roscommon and District Football League Masters Oscar Traynor Cup

Vincent Brooks looks back on the week’s action from the Roscommon and District Football League as Castlerea Celtic moved closed to the Premier Division title.

Castlerea Celtic took a major step towards winning the Roscommon and District Football League Premier Division title when the beat Ballinasloe Town 1–0 at Ballinasloe. The home side were on top for the first fifteen minutes of the game but from then to the final whistle it was Castlerea Celtic who were the more determined and overall the better side.

Paddy Gunning, James Joyce, Eoghan O’Connell, Nathan Bligh and Padraig Colloaty were their best players but overall it was a great team performance from a team that have gone fourteen games without a defeat. The deciding moment of the game came with twenty three minutes played in the second half. Niall Higgins started the move that led to the goal. His pass found Nathan Bligh who beat two players before delivering a perfect cross to the back post where Jarlath Geraghty volleyed to the Ballinasloe Town net.

Ballinasloe Town tried their best in the closing stages but they just could not get past a well organised Castlerea defence. Read a full match report here

Castlerea Celtic are three points clear of Moore United with both teams having just one game left to play. Ballinasloe Town still have a big game next weekend when they play Atherny in the Connacht Cup final at Lecarrow.

In the Premier Division Cup Moore United are through to the Quarter Finals following a 3 – 2 win over Skyvalley Rovers at Moore. Mark Nicholson Alan Duffy and a late penalty for Andy Nevin accounted the Moore scores while Ethan Keogh scored both goals for Skyvalley Rovers.

Earlier in the week Ballymoe beat Ballinasloe Town 1 – 0 at Ballinasloe. Daniel Malone headed the winner after thirty eight minutes after getting on the end of a Keith Muldoon cross and they are through to the Simi-Finals.
Castlerea Celtic reached the Quarter –Finals after beating Ballaghaderreen 2 – 1 at Ballaghaderreen. Ronan Curran scored two for the winners and Shane Duffy replied for the losers.

M D Town beat Cloonfad United 3 – 2 at Cloonfad and are also through to the Simi-Finals. Morgan Lyons gave Cloonfad an early lead. Colm Manhire levelled the game with thirty played. Brian Higgins and Brendan Bowens added two more for the Milltown Dunmore side before Kieran Kiely replied for the losers.

St Johns Athletic join them in the Simi-Finals following an 8 – win over a weak Dysart side. Michael Hannon got a hat trick in the first half and Ryan O Beirne and David MC Donnell added two each after the break and Tom Hurley added one.

In the Division 1 Cup Quarter-Finals Ahascragh United beat Ballinasloe Town B 2–0 at Ahascragh. Kenny English scored their first after twenty one minutes and he added a stunning second with fifteen minutes left to play.

Shiven Rovers beat Kilkerrin United 6 – 1 at Newbridge and they are also through to their second Cup Simi-Final. Michael Killalea Eric Walsh Shane Harkin Keith Murphy Aidan McInerney and Francis Kilcommins scored their goals

The Brazilian side Brazukas beat a weakened Rahara Rovers side 11 – 1 at Rahara. Vando and Francisco scored four each and Marcos Edimilson and Danis added one each. Sean Commane replied for the losers.

Glen Celtic beat Loughglynn United 5 – 2 at Loughglynn. Ryan Mc Hugh gave his side a 3 – 0 half time lead and Kieran Trautt and Paul Dolan added two more in the second half.

In the Division 2 Cup M D Town beat C P Ajax 4 – 1 at Milltown. Shane Gleeson scored 2 Anto Ninic and Rory Moloney added one each. Ciaran Harkin replied for the Castleplunket side

Moylough beat Moore United 2 – 1 at Moore. Marcos Finn and James Fahy for the winners and Shane Kenny for the losers scored the goals.

In the Masters League The Castleblakney side C B Trotters beat Shiven Rovers 2 – 0 at Newbridge St Francis beat St Coman’s 1 – 0 and the Glenamaddy side Glen Celtic beat Dunmore Town 1 – 0 with Kieran Trautt scoring their goal.