A group of Concerned Members of Athlone Town FC have released a statement this evening updating the public of recent developments at the Club.
The statement reads as follows:
Further to a recent statement by Concerned Members of Athlone Town FC dated 24 June, a Public meeting was held 20 July over concerns arising on the running of Athlone Town FC.
The following points should be noted following the meeting:-
1. A vote of no confidence in the current committee of Athlone Town FC was unanimously passed.
2. In light of same, Tony Knight was asked to resign his position in the club which he immediately did. Tony is Athlone through and through and we thank him for his support. We believe Tony has an important role to play in the club in the future but we ask for the few existing committee members to resign with immediate effect and wonder what mandate they believe they have to continue in office.
3. On 25 May at a public meeting at the Athlone Town Stadium a statement of affairs was requested and a commitment was given by the club to issue same. We now ask why this information is been withheld.
4. We wish to make public the correspondence that has taken place with the current committee of Athlone Town FC and it can be noted only one reply was forthcoming.
Tony Connaughton correspondence
A) Tony Connaughton-email sent 6 June with deadline given for reply 4pm 7 June.
B) Tony Connaughton-email sent 7 June (10.29pm) with deadline given for reply 4pm 8 June.
Concerned Members of Athlone Town FC correspondence
A) Member email 16 June calling for emergency meeting
B) Committee reply 20 June
C) Member email to club 21 June –no reply
D) Member email to club 28 June –no reply
E) Member email to club 30 June –no reply
F) Member email to club -6 July-no reply
We now set out the following two action points required:-
1. The current few committee members resign with immediate effect.
2. We call on the supporters of Athlone Town FC to mobilize on these matters and join us on our efforts to progress the club with drive and ambition.
Finally, we also urge those who wish to make their views known to contact the Concerned Members of Athlone Town FC designated email [email protected]
Yours in sport
Garret Mc Dermott