Roscommon and District Football League

Roscommon and District Football League Round-up March 26th

Roscommon and District Football League

Vincent Brooks rounds-up the days action from the Roscommon and District Football League and League teams in action in the Connacht Cup and Shield.

Roscommon and District Football League Premier Division side Ballymoe FC failed to make the Quarter-Finals of the Connacht Cup when beaten by Boyle Celtic 4-3 following extra time in a thriving game at Ballymoe. Niall Brennan was Man of the Match as he scored three for Boyle and Danny Browne added their fourth. Damien Goggins Daniel Malone and Aidan Brogan scored for Ballymoe FC.

Ballinasloe Town are through to the last eight when they beat the fancied Galway Premier Division side Corrib Celtic at Ballinasloe. The game went to a penalty shoot-out after the sides finished at 1–1 at the end of extra time. Two penalty saves by Padraig Maloney resulted in a 4–2 shoot-out win for Ballinasloe. Mark Duffy had scored after fifty four minutes for Ballinasloe with Corrib Celtic getting the equaliser with twelve minutes left in normal time.

Cam Celtic pulled off a big win in the Connacht Shield when they beat Athenry “B” 3 – 2 at Cam. The visitors, who were playing with the wind, took the lead three minutes before half time but Conor Duignan levelled the game when he scored for Cam Celtic two minutes later. David Cunniffe added a second for Adrian McDonnell’s men with fifteen played in the second half. Jason Nestor sealed a place in the Quarter-Finals when he scored their third with thirteen left to play. The Athenry side scored a second in last minute of the game.

In the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District Football League Shiven Rovers beat Ahascragh United 2- 0 at Ahascragh. Francis Kilcommins converted a penalty kick early in the second half and Eric Walsh added a second near the end.

St Johns Athletic advanced to the second round of the Premier Division Cup when they beat Skyvalley Rovers 3 – 0 at Lecarrow. Anthony O’Riordon, Mike Hannon and Tommie Hurley scored their goals.

Division 1 Champions Dysart dropped their first points of the season when they were held to a 2 – 2 draw at Dysart. The home side were 2 – 1 ahead with ten minutes left to play but came close to losing the game in the last minute. Niall Tansey and Paddy Neary scored for Dysart with Conor Moran and Jason Ward replying for Kilkerrin.

After a one season absence Cloonfad United returned to the Premier Division as runners up in Division 1 with a game in hand. They beat Ballinasloe Town 7 – 1 at Ballinasloe. Stephen Cunningham Frank Ronane and Shaun Kearney gave them a 3–1 half-time lead. Bobby Douglas added two more and Luke McDermott and Stephen Cunningham one each after the break.

CP Ajax were beaten 3–2 by Dunmore Town at Tarmon. Thomas Gleeson, Ryan Fox and James Maloney scored for Dunmore while Darren Boyle and Mike Kerrane replied for the Castleplunket side.

In Division 2 Hodson Bay Athletic beat Cloonfad second side 3 – 1 at Athlone. Mark Grehan, Eamon Cunnane and Cormac Sheehy scored for the Kiltoom side early in the second half with Noel Ward replying fr the losers.

Dunmore Town beat Moore United 4 – 0 at Dunmore. Daniel Anic, Anto Ninic, Anthony Broderick and Justin Ray scored for Dunmore Town.

Skyvalley Rvs received a walk over Moylough 79.