Moore United Roscommon Soccer Roscommon and District Football League

Tight at the top of the Roscommon and District Football League

Moore United Roscommon Soccer Roscommon and District Football League

The race for the Roscommon and District Football League Premier Division title remains very close with just three series of games to be played. Vincent Brooks reports on that and all the weekend’s action.

Just two points separate Moore United, Castlerea Celtic, Ballymoe FC and Ballinasloe Town at the top of the Herald sponsored Roscommon and District Football League Premier Division.

Moore United beat Brazukas 2–1 at Moore and go top of the table but with a game more played. Vando gave Brazukas an early lead but Darragh Concannon and Mark Butler soon had Moore United in control.

Title holders Castlerea Celtic beat Ballaghaderreen 6–0 at Lecarrow. Peter Farrell scored two in the first eighteen minutes and Ronan Curran converted a penalty kick to make it 3–0 at half time. Nathan and Dominic Bligh and Ronan Curran added three more after the break.

Ballinasloe Town beat bottom side Ahascragh United 12–0 at Ballinasloe on Friday. Leading 4–0 at the break the home side ran riot in the second half over a very young Ahascragh side. David Cullen scored five and Des Hope and Eoin Mc Cormack added two each. Goals from Kenneth Kenny, John Maloney and an own goal completed the scoring.

On Sunday Ballinasloe beat St Johns Athletic 5–0 at Ballinasloe. Their first came by way of an own goal while Mark Duffy, David Cullen, Liam Lynch and Des Hope added one each.

Roscommon and District Football League Challenge Cup

In Round two of the Roscommon and District Football League Challenge Cup Strokestown United beat Cloonfad United 4–2 at Strokestown. The home side came from behind on two occasions to snatch a late winner. Kevin Finn scored three and Derek Connellan one for the winners. Stephen Cunningham and Conor Freely scored for Cloonfad United.

Division 1 side CP Ajax and Division 2 runners up Moore United went all the way to a penalty shootout after the game finished at 3–3 at the end of extra time before the Castleplunket side C P Ajax won 3–1 on penalties. Paul Mee scored two and Aaron Fitzpatrick one for the winners and John Duffy Tommie Naughton and Adam Mc Manus scored for Moore United “B”.

Division 1 Champions Dysart were made to battle all the way before beating Division 2 side Cloonfad United “B” 2–1 after extra time at Cloonfad. John Connelly gave the home side a 1–0 lead after twenty minutes of play with Andy Higgins levelling the game before half time. There were no more scores in normal time but in the second period of extra time a Kenny Doolin volley came back off the Cloonfad cross bar and Andy Higgins scored from close range.

In the Norio’s Take Away Division 1

Glen Celtic and Ballinasloe drew 1–1 at Glenamaddy. Dylan Keane gave Ballinasloe a 1–0 lead with Michael Heneghan levelling the game with eighteen minutes left to play.

Skyvalley Rovers were 4–1 winners over Shiven Rovers in their Division 2 game at Onagh Park Taughmaconnell. Sean Kenny scored two in the first seventeen minutes and Sean Finneran and Brian Croffey added two more for the winners. Michael Ward replied for the Newbridge side.

Castlerea Celtic beat Ballinagare 3–1 at Ballinagare. Martin Foster scored two and Patrick Egan one for the winners with Joe Looby pulling a goal back for Ballinagare.

The remaining game were victims of the bad weather.