Roscommon Sport Ballymoe FC Roscommon and District Football League

Roscommon and District Football League Round-up March 12th

Roscommon Sport Ballymoe FC Roscommon and District Football League

Vincent Brooks rounds-up the action from the Roscommon and District Football League and Cup and the local sides in Connacht Cup and Shield action.

Castlerea Celtic bowed out of the Connacht Cup when they were beaten 4 – 1 by the Galway League Premier Division side Corrib Celtic at Lecarrow on Sunday. Peter Farrell scored for a disappointed Castlerea Celtic side.

Ballinasloe Town are through to the third round following a comfortable 3 – 1 win over Moore United at Ballinasloe. David Cullen gave the home side a 1 – 0 lead at half time. Owen Mc Cormack and David Grehan headed two more after the break with Alan Duffy pulling a goal back for the losers.

In the Connacht Shield the Ballinlough side Lough Harps were disappointed to lose 6 – 1 away to the Sligo Leitrim side Merville United. A switch of venue to an artificial pitch at short notice did not help the Ballinlough side. Sean Moran scored for Lough Harps.

Cloonfad United second side were beaten 2-0 at home by the Galway side Galway Bohs. Tyrone Lynch and Gerard Greaney scored for the Galway side.

In the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District Football League Ballymoe FC returned to the top of the points table following a 3 – 1 win over Skyvalley Rovers.

Damien Goggins gave Ballymoe a 1 – 0 half time lead. Adrian Mannion levelled the game with fifty played. Adrian Collins restored the Ballymoe lead ten minutes later and Maurice Connaughton sealed a win when he scored a third for Ballymoe near the end.

In Division One Cloonfad United only need two points from their remaining two games to make an immediate return to the Premier Division.

They beat the Castleplunket side C P Ajax 1 – 0 at Cloonfad and are now five points clear of nearest challengers Lough Harps. The sides were well matched in the first half but just before the break Conor Freely scored the only goal of the game. Cloonfad United were comfortable in the second half and captured all three points.

Kilkerrin United beat Dunmore Town 2- 1 at Dunmore. The home side went 1 – 0 up early in the game thanks to Aaron O’Connell. Damien Mahon levelled the game from the penalty spot and Michael Duffy scored the winner for Kilkerrin.

In the Kileen Sportsgrounds sponsored Division 2 of the Roscommon and District Football League the Champions, Strokestown United, came from 2 – 0 down to beat Castlerea Celtic second side 3 – 2 at Strokestown. Pakie Sharkey and Patrick Egan had Castlerea two ahead with twenty one played and Egan came close to adding a third. Darren Clabby pulled one back before half time and the same player added two more before the end.

Moore United moved within touching distance of the runners up trophies and a place in Division 1 next season when they beat Roscommon United 2 – 1 at Roscommon. Thomas Naughton scored his ninth goal of the season for Moore and Shane Kenny added a second to give Moore a 2 – 0 half time lead. Carl Garvin pulled a goal back for the Town side from the penalty spot but a tiring Moore held on to take all three points.

Moylough 79 beat Shiven Rovers 2 – 1 at Newbridge. Michael Kelly gave Moylough a 1 – 0 lead before Mike Ward replied for the home side. Kieran Kelly scored the winner for Moylough with fourteen minutes left to play.

Three late goals for Hodson Bay Athletic saw them get the three points from their game away to Skyvalley Rovers. The home side missed many scoring chances in the first half and paid the price when Mark Grehan, Conor Gleeson and Cormac Sheehy scored in the last twenty minutes of the game.

Division 1 Champions Dysart are through to the third round of the Roscommon and District Football League Challenge Cup following a hard earned 1 – 0 win over Division 2 side Cam Celtic at Cam.

The only goal of the game came by way of a penalty kick from Paddy Neary after sixty eight minutes of play.

Congratulations to Boyle Celtic on advancing to the Semi-Final of the FAI Junior Cup.

They beat the Waterford side Carrick United 6-5 in a penalty shootout after the game finished level at 2 – 2 after extra time. They now play the Kilkenny side Evergreen at a neutral venue in the Semi-Finals.