Roscommon and District Football League

Roscommon and District Football League knocked out of Oscar Traynor Cup

Roscommon and District Football League

The Roscommon and District Football League failed in their attempt to reach the Semi-Finals of this season’s Oscar Traynor Cup Competition when they were beaten 2–1 by the Inishowen League at Buncrana this afternoon.

By Vincent Brooks
The game was played on a lovely sunny day and overall there was little between the teams. Inishowen took the lead after fourteen minutes of play. A good volley by Mathew Byrne took a deflection of a defender and ended up in the back of the net.

With thirty-four played a cross by Greg Grogan found Des Hope free but his header was saved by the Inishowen keeper. Just before half time Hope again came close to levelling the game from a Darragh Concannon free kick.

Early in the second half Gregory Grogan and Garry Canavan created good openings for the Roscommon and District Football League forwards but they just could not get the vital touch. After fifty-eight minutes the Roscommon and District League scored a deserved equaliser. A fine volley by the Moore striker David O’Brien struck both posts before crossing the line.

Unfortunately for the visitors they conceded a second goal ten minutes later. Anthony Doherty won possession outside the visitor’s penalty area and advanced near the goal line before scoring from tight angle.

The Roscommon and District Football League kept up the pressure but received a setback when Darragh Concannon was sent off with seventy-nine played. Gregory Grogan and Joe Woods almost snatched an equalised near the end but Inishowen held on to end a four game unbeaten run by the Roscommon and District League.

Elsewhere there were games in the Tommie Brennan Connacht Cup and Shield.

In the second round of the Tommie Brennan Connacht Cup Premier side Ballaghaderreen were beaten 2–0 away to the Sligo-Leitrim Super League side Aughanagh Celtic.

Division 1 side Cloonfad United were in action against the best team in the Sligo-Leitrim League. Cloonfad United played really well and created many chances but were undone by an own goal with seven minutes left to play and as a result its Carbury FC who are through to round three.
Shiven Rovers were also beaten 3 – 0 at home by the Mayo Super League side Claremorris.

Roscommon and District League Division 2 side Cam Celtic are through to the third round of the Tommie Brennan Connacht Shield following a very impressive win over the Tuam side Dynamo Blues away at Tuam. Cam found themselves 2 – 0 dawn at half time. However a brilliant display in the second half saw Cam score four before the home side added their third near the end. Gareth Mulligan and Darren Donnelly scored two each for Cam Celtic.

All the remaining games were victims of the bad weather.