Moore United Roscommon Soccer Roscommon and District Football League

Moore United top Roscommon and District Football League

Moore United Roscommon Soccer Roscommon and District Football League

Although some Roscommon and District Football League games fell victim to the weather those that went ahead proved crucial. Vincent Brooks rounds-up all the action.

With just three series of games left to play Moore United go one point clear at the top of the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District Football League.
They came out on top following an eleven goal thriller against St Johns Athletic at Falty Park Moore. The home side were 4 – 0 up with twenty five played. David O Brien scored three and Mark Nicholson one. St Johns struck back and two from Aaron Martin and an own goal left them trailing 4 – 3 at the break. Enda Kenny Darragh Concannon and Mark Nicholson added three more for Moore United before Aaron Martin completed his hat trick for the losers.

Title holders Castlerea Celtic beat Skyvalley Rovers 4–1 at Lecarrow. They are in joint second place with Ballymoe F C and have a game less played than Moore United. Peter Farrell gave the winners a 1 – 0 half time lead and Ronan Curran added a second with sixty four played. Dominic Bligh added two more in the last six minutes of the game. Sean Kenny pulled a goal back for the losers.

Congratulations are extended to Strokestown United who are the new Division 2 Champions.

They beat Dunmore Town second side 2–0 at Strokestown. Derek Connellan and Darren Clabby scored for a Strokestown United side who have won eighteen of their nineteen games played.

Moore United secured the runners-up trophies following their 3 – 1 win over Cloonfad United at Cloonfad. Tommy Naughton scored two and Conor Kelly one for Moore with John Connelly replying for Cloonfad United. All the goals came in the first half.

Lough Harps advanced to the second Round of the Roscommon and District Football League Challenge Cup with a 4 – 1 win over Division 2 side Roscommon United. Sean Burke scored two and Sean Moran and Kevin Lynch one each for the Division 1 side with Jamie Bracken replying for the losers.

All the remaining games were victims of the heavy rain.