Roscommon and District Football League Masters Oscar Traynor Cup

Roscommon and District Football League Team record 3-0 win

Roscommon and District Football League Masters Oscar Traynor Cup

Vincent Brooks rounds-up the weekend’s action from the Roscommon and District Football League including a comfortable win for the League’s representative side.

The Roscommon and District Football League representative side had a comfortable 3–0 win over the Cavan Monaghan League at Lecarrow on Saturday evening and they are now through to the Quarter-Finals of this season’s Oscar Traynor Cup competition.

The Cavan Monaghan side startled brightly and David McEntee and Dean Connolly missed two good chances to give the visitors the lead. However that was as good as it got for Cavan Monaghan as for the remainder of the game the Roscommon and District league were clearly the better side.
With thirty played good work from John Connaughton and Dominic Bligh created an opening for Gregory Grogan but his header was ruled out for off side.

Seven minutes later the Roscommon and District League took a deserved lead. Darragh Concannon won a good ball on the edge of the opposition penalty area and played it to the Castlerea player Peter Farrell. His neat pass to the far post found the Ballymoe player Gregory Grogan who volleyed high into the Cavan Monaghan net.

The second half started as the first ended with the home side on top. With seven played the Cavan Monaghan Captain and best player Enda Hessin was sent off for a second bookable offence. Half way through the half the visitors had winger Gary Hessin sent off and within six minutes Garry Canavan scored a second for the Roscommon and District league. A late challenge by the visitor’s keeper saw them reduced to eight men with ten minutes left to play. Peter Farrell scored again for the Roscommon and District League near the end. They now make the long journey to the Donegal where they play the Inishowen league on the 5th March.

The first round of the Roscommon and District Football League Challenge Cup was played over the weekend with only teams from the lower two Divisions in action.

Division 1 side CP Ajax beat Division 2 side Ballinagare 3–0 at Ballinagare. Paul Mee scored the first for the Castleplunket side and Darren Boyle added two more to secure a place in round two.
In an all Division 1 clash Moylough beat Dunmore Town 2–0 at Moylough. The home side played really well and while level at the break they won a penalty kick ten minutes into the second half which was converted by Marcus Finn. Adam Connolly added a second with seventy played to secure a place in the second round.

Division 2 leaders Strokestown United beat Shiven Rovers second side 3–1 at Newbridge. Aidan Dooney scored two and Kevin Finn one for the winners with David Kelly replying for the losers.

In an all Division 2 clash Hodson Bay Athletic beat Castlerea Celtic second side 3–0 at Castlerea. Paul Furey opened the scoring for the winners with eighteen played and Cormac Sheehy added a second before half time. Shane Smyth added a third with twenty left to play.
Division 1 side Glen Celtic were beaten 3–1 at Glenamaddy by Dunmore second team. The Division 2 side were 1 – 0 up at half time and added two more in the second half before Kay Sarpong pulled a gaol back for the losers. Anthony Broderick scored the first two and Daniel Anic got the winners third.
Moore “B” beat Kilkerrin United 4-3 on Penalties after the game finished level at 1- 1 after extra time at Moore. Sean Collins scored for Kilkerrin with Cathal Kelly replying for David Kenny’s men in normal time.
In the only game in Division 2 Cam Celtic beat Cloonfad United 1–0 at Cloonfad to keep their hopes of the runners up spot in this Division alive. The visitors were on top for most of the game and finally made the break through after sixty nine minutes with David Cunniffe finishing from close range.