Roscommon and District Football League

Roscommon and District Football League Round-up for December 4th

Roscommon and District Football League

Vincent Brooks looks back on the action from the Roscommon and District Football League and Ballinasloe Town’s game in the FAI Junior Cup.

Roscommon and District Football League side Ballinasloe Town failed to make it to round six of the FAI Junior Cup.

They were beaten on penalties by the Waterford City side Villa F C. Des Hope headed Ballinasloe Town into the lead with fifty played but Ian Holter levelled the game with fifteen left to play. Des Hope restored the home sides lead in extra time but Villa scored near the end to sent the game to a penalty shoot-out. The Waterford side won 5 – 4 in the penalty shoot-out.

Ballymoe FC made it nine straight wins in the Herald sponsored Premier Division of the Roscommon and District Football League.

They defeated lowly St Johns Athletic 3 – 0 at the League Grounds in Lecarrow. The sides were well matched for the first thirty minutes until the winners scored and after that the result was never in Doubt. Damien Goggins opened the scoring when the St Johns keeper could only parry a Keith Muldoon volley.
Maurice Connaughton added a second with fifty seven played and Cathal Connelly sealed all three points when he scored their third with twelve minutes left to play.

Moore United are five points behind the leaders following an impressive 2 – 1 win over title holders Castlerea Celtic at Castlerea. Andy Nevin got on the end of a Darragh Concannon free kick to give Moore a half time lead. Alan Duffy added a second in the second half and any hope of a Castlerea Celtic come back were dashed when they had a player sent off. Ronan Curran did pull a goal back near the end but a comfortable Moore United held on for a win.

Skyvalley Rovers beat Shiven Rovers 2 – 1 at Onagh Park Taughmaconnell. The home side showed real commitment throughout the game but were made to battle all the way by a very fit Newbridge side. John Galvin got the final touch to give Skyvalley Rovers the lead with twenty three played. Twelve minutes later Ronan Grehan won a penalty kick and Jack Moore Converted. Padraig Mannion pulled a goal back for Shiven Rovers with four minutes left to play.

The Brazilian side Brazukas beat Ahascragh United 4 – 0 at Roscommon. Marcus gave the winners a 1 – 0 half time lead and Vando added two more and Mario one in a fifteen minute period in the second half to wrap up the three points.

In the Norios Take Away sponsored Roscommon and District Football League Division One Dysart made it ten league wins in a row when the beat Kilkerrin United 5 – 3 at Dysart.

The visitors took an early lead but Darren Keegan levelled the game before half time. In the second half Keith Waldron scored two and Andy Nevin and Ronan McDonnell one each for the high flying Dysart.

Second placed Cloonfad United were beaten 3 – 2 away to the Castleplunket side C P Ajax. Cloonfad missed a host of chances early in the game and paid the price. Kieran Harkin gave the Castleplunket side a 1-0 lead with thirty three played and Cian Ruane levelled the game just before half-time. Paul Mee for the winners and Darren O Malley for Cloonfad exchanged scores before Sean Joyce scored the winner for C.P Ajax near the end.

Dunmore Town were beaten 3 – 2 away to the Ballinlough side Lough Harps. Adrian Cregg, Tiernan Murphy and Gerry Cunningham scored for Lough Harps. Ger Canny and Colum Manhire replied for Dunmore Town.

The Loughglynn v Glen Celtic game was postponed as a mark of respect to the late Darren Mitchell.

In the Kileen Sportsgrounds sponsored Roscommon and District Football League Division 2 leaders Strokestown United beat Roscommon United 4 – 1 at Roscommon.

Darren Clabby, David Parker, Padraig O’Beirne and Derek Connellan scored for the winners. Paul McHugh got the credit for the losers goal.

Cam Celtic beat Ballinagare 3 – 0 at Cam. Declan Lynch scored in the first half and a Robbie Fallon converted a penalty kick following a foul on Donald O Connor. The remaining score was by way of an own goal.

Cloonfad United beat Castlerea Celtic 4 – 2 at Cloonfad. The home side raced into a 2- 0 lead but goals from Damien Freyne and Rui Fillipe had Castlerea Celtic level with twenty minutes left to play. David Keavney scored two and Kevin Neenan and Jack Reinhardt one each for Cloonfad United.

Hodson Bay Athletic beat Dunmore Town second side 6- 4 at Dunmore. Darragh Blaine Shane Smyth and Dermot O Connor gave the Kiltoom side a 3 – 0 lead. Smyth added two more and Cormac Sheehy one for the winners. Shane Gleeson scored two and Garry Ridge and Rory Maloney one each for the Dunmore side.

The Moore v Shiven game was abandoned due to flood light failure.