Roscommon and District Football League

Roscommon and District Football League Round-up November 27th

Roscommon and District Football League

Vincent Brooks looks back on the weekend’s action from the Roscommon and District Football League and Oscar Traynor Trophy.

The Roscommon and District Football League gave themselves a real chance of making the final stages of this seasons Oscar Traynor Cup competition following a 0 – 0 away draw with the Galway League at the Eamon Deacy Park, Galway. The visitors followed up their home win over the Mayo League with a fully committed defensive display and as the game went on they looked the more likely side to win. Galway started brightly with a lot of possession but never threatening the visitor’s goal. After twenty three minutes of play a free kick by Darragh Concannon from just outside the box brought a great save from the Galway keeper TJ FORDE and the keeper made two more saves within the next twelve minutes to deny Ethan Keogh and Andy Nevin. Dominic Bligh, the Castlerea Celtic midfielder, needed extensive treatment after fifty minutes but was able to continue.

With sixty-five played Gregory Grogan replaced Peter Farrell as the visitors went for a win. However the Dysart keeper Noel Fallon was forced into a good save to deny Alan Murphy five minutes later. The Ahascragh player Joe Hunt and Andy Higgins replaced the tiring Ronan Curran and Andy Nevin as Ethan Keogh forced a good block from the Galway Captain Garry Delaney. Galway nearly snatches a win with three minutes left to play but Noel Fallon denied Alan Murphy with an excellent save.

In the other game played in the group Clare beat Mayo 2 – 1 at Ennis. Should the Roscommon and District league draw their game away to Clare or Mayo draw or beat Galway the Roscommon and District league are through to the knock out stages.

With the representative side in action only a small number of games were played in the Roscommon and District League

In the only game played in The Herald sponsored Roscommon and District Football League Premier Division Shiven Rovers beat Brazukas 7 – 2 at Newbridge.
Eric Walsh opened the scoring for Shiven before Vando replied for the Brazilians. Eric Walsh scored four more and Francis Kilcommins and Tom Doyle added one each for the winners with Marcelo pulling a second gaol back for the losers.

In the Norios Takeaway sponsored Division 1 the Ballinasloe Town v Kilkerrin United was postponed as a mark of respect for the late Paddy Loughnane

. Elsewhere Cloonfad United received the points from their home game against Rahara Rovers

The Castleplunket side CP Ajax beat the Glenamaddy side Glen Celtic 5 – 4 in a thriller at Tarmon. The home side were 4 – 0 ahead with fifteen left to play. Glen Celtic battled back and came very close to levelling the game with the last kick of the game.
Ciaran Harkin scored two and David Coyne Paul Mee and Kevin Knight got one each for the winners. Kieran Trautt Willie Comer Kay Spangoon and Ryan Mc Hugh replied for Glen Celtic.

In the Kileen Sportsgrounds sponsored Division 2 of the Roscommon and District Football League Dunmore Town moved into joint third place following a 4 – 1 win over Ballinagare at Dunmore.

Garry Ridge scored two and Paul Ridge and Danny Farragher one each for the winners with James Dowd scoring for a young Ballinagare side.

Fifth placed Hodson Bay Athletic drew 2 – 2 away to the Newbridge based Shiven Rovers. Luke Delaney and Andrew Naughton scored for the home side while Paul Furey and Cormac Sheehy won a point for the Hodson Bay side.

Cloonfad United drew 2 – 2 with old rivals Skyvalley Rovers at Onagh Park Taughmaconnell. David Keavney made a return from injury to score two for Cloonfad United in the first Half. Sean Kenny pulled a goal back just before half time and Brian Lennon added a second in the second half to earn a well-deserved point for the home side

Moylough 79 and Castlerea Celtic drew 2 – 2 at Moylough. Kieran Kelly and Adam Connolly scored for the home side early in the first half. Before half time P Egan created an opening for Martin Foster and he pulled a goal back. Pakie Sharkey levelled the game in the second half again after good work by P Egan.