St Brigids GAA

Late goals land another Fahey Cup for St Brigids

St Brigids GAA

Late goals from Man of the Match Ian Kilbide and Darragh Donnelly secured the JJ Fahey Cup for St Brigids in Kiltoom this afternoon.

St Brigids, playing with the wind advantage in the first half, dominated early possession and raced into an early lead. Darren Dolan, Karol Mannion, Conor Murray, Brian Stack and Garvan Dolan all pointed in the opening 11 minutes before Sean Fahy got Pearses on the scoreboard in the 15th. Darragh Sheehy made it 0-6 to 0-1 moments later. St Brigids held a five point lead but it could have been 10. Their wastefulness on front of goal proved costly in the 24th minute when Sean Fahy scored 1-1 in quick succession. Niall Daly burst through the Brigids defence, saw the unmarked Fahy and the Pearses veteran flicked the ball passed Shane Mannion.
A Karol Mannion point extended St Brigids lead in the 25th minute and at the interval they led by 0-8 to 1-2, despite their eight wides.

Tense and tight

Cathal McHugh pointed for St Brigids two minutes after the restart but Padraig Pearses were then sparked into life. Tom Butler, Shane Dolan and two from Hubert D’Arcy tied the game; St Brigids 0-9 Padraig Pearses 1-6. Then the game swung in St Brigids’ favour with Darren Dolan, Garvan Dolan and Brian Stack all pointing. With 37 minutes on the clock Conor Daly sent a long ball in towards the St Brigids goal and Hubert Darcy got the faintest of touches to divert it to the net. Level again!

With the game in the balance tensions were high and Eamon Donoghue received a Black Card for pulling down his opponent in front of goal. What would have been a very scoreable free for St Brigids turned into a hop ball following some “handbags” but ultimately it didn’t matter.

With nine minutes remaining Senan Kilbride was dragged down in the square and Karol Mannion sent the resulting penalty over the bar. A minute later Sean Fahy equalised for Pearses.

Centre Half Back Ian Kilbride blazed through the Padraig Pearses defence and sent the ball passed the on-rushing Adam McManus. Two minutes later it was the turn of Full Back Darragh Donnelly and he gave the Pearses keeper no chance. Another melee developed in the closing minutes and both teams were reduced to 14 men following the dismissal of Garvan Dolan (straight red) and Niall Daly, following a second yellow. Substitute David Cunniffe pointed in the third minute of additional time and it ended St Brigids 2-14 Padraig Pearses 2-7.

Teams and scorers:

St Brigids: Shane Mannion; Darragh Donnelly (1-0), Niall McInerney, Daire Sheehy (0-1); Ronan Stack, Ian Kilbride (1-0), Eoin Sheehy; Garvan Dolan (0-2), Mark Daly; Brian Stack (0-2), Darren Dolan (0-3), Conor Murray (0-1); Cathal McHugh (0-1), Senan Kilbride, Karol Mannion (0-3, two frees, 1 pen).
Subs: Padraig Kelly for Daly (40), Frankie Dolan for McHugh (58), David Cunniffe (0-1) for D Dolan (59), Niall Grehan for E Sheehy (59), Jack McDonnell for Mannion (60).

Padriag Pearses: Adam McManus; David Murray, Anthony Butler, Mark Richardson; Conor Daly, Niall Carty, Cathal Óg Sullivan; Eamon Donoghue Niall Daly; Shane Carty, Ronan Daly, Shane Dolan (0-1); Hubert Darcy (1-2, 2f), Tom Butler (0-1), Sean Fahy (1-3, two frees)

Subs: Adrian Mannion for Donoghue (49, BC), Conor Payne for S Dolan (49), Daniel Glynn for C. Óg Sullivan (58), Paul Kelly for Carty (59).

Referee: Paul Daly (Strokestown).