Roscommon GAA Creggs

Both Roscommon GAA Finals end in Draws

Roscommon GAA Creggs

There was a unique occurrence in Strokestown today when the Roscommon GAA Junior A and Intermediate Football Championship Finals both ended level.

Picture Credit: Roscommon GAA

In the Warm n’Cosy Homes Junior A Football Championship Final two late points from Man of the Match Pierce Bolger earned Kilglass Gaels a second bite at the cherry against Creggs.

It what was a cagey affair which took almost seven minutes for the opening score to arrive; Enda Conneran sending the ball to the back of the Kilglass Gaels net. The east Roscommon men fought back and struck four points without reply over the course of the next 11 minutes. Creggs second score of the game was also a goal; Enda O’Roarke on target in the 21st minute. A Pierce Bolger point reduced the lead to one but that was cancelled out by Kevin Gavin moments later.
Kilglass added a point in injury time to leave it Creggs 2-1 Kilglass Gaels 0-6 at the interval.

Kilglass Gaels began the second half well, and took the lead in the 33rd minute however Creggs replied three minutes later. It was “tit for tat” throughout the second half and there was never more than two points between the sides.
With two minutes of normal time remaining Creggs led by 2-6 to 0-11 but up stepped Pierce Bolger to equalise. Four minutes of injury time couldn’t separate the sides and it ended Creggs 2-6 Kilglass Gaels 0-11.

Teams and scorers

Eugene Fleming; Padraig McKeague, Ciaran Dowd, Eugene Hanley; Paul Brandon, James McKeague, Sean Dermody; Colin Canny, Tom Fleming; Matthew Browne, Shane Dowd 0-2,1f, Enda O’Roarke 1-2; Mark Brandon, Enda Conneran 1-0, Kevin Gavin 0-2.

Kilglass Gaels

Chris Duffy; Eddie Conboy, Leo Cox, Cian Diffley; Michael McCormack, Tommy Cox, Ciaran McHugh; Richie Dooner (0-1), Barry Conroy; Daniel Cox, Gavin Tully (0-3, 2f) Diarmaid Connellan; Tom Cox (0-2), Pierce Bolger (0-6), David Nugent.

In the Mulryan Construction Intermediate Final Oran held Kilmore scoreless in the second half and could have sneaked a win.

It was Oran who took the initiative with Shane Regan and Kieran Whyte scoring in the opening two minutes. Kilmore levelled three minutes later; Pat Caslin and Derek Connellan getting on the score sheet. During the 25 minutes that followed scores were few and far between.
Kieran Whyte pointed in the 16th minute and then Kilmore hit three without reply. Paul Garvey equalised in the 23rd, Pat Caslin put them ahead in the 25th before Garvey added another in the 25th. Adrian Cassidy reduced the lead to a point just before half-time. Kilmore were awarded a penalty in the first minute of injury time and Derek Connellan sent the ball to the left of Matthew Whyte. Little did Kilmore supporters realise it was to be their last score of the game. Half-time score: Kilmore 1-5 Oran 0-4.

Michael Gunning and Adrian Cassidy scored Oran’s opening points in the first four minutes of the second half. It took a further 10 minutes for them to get their next point, courtesy of an Adrian Cassidy free. Another Cassidy free in the 26th minute levelled the game, 1-5 to 0-8 and that’s how it ended. Oran had chances to grab a winner but had to settle for a share of the spoils.

Teams and scorers

Matthew Whyte; Jack Casey, Kevin Concannon, John Concannon; Adrian Cassidy (0-4), Thomas Fetherston, Mike Dwyer; James Regan, Gearoid Keenan; Ross Earley, Paul Kenny, Jack Earley; Kieran Whyte (0-2), Shane Regan (0-1), Michael Gunning (0-1)


Ollie Burke; Mark Connellan, Jack Sharkey, Damien Tiernan; Joe Garvey, Colm Garvey, Kevin Caslin; Dermot Foley, Pat Caslin (0-2); Raymond Caslin, Gary Connellan, Derek Connellan (1-1); John Donohue, Dara Feely, Paul Garvey (0-2).

Man of the Match: Thomas Fetherston (Oran)


The Roscommon GAA Competitions Control Committee will meet shortly to confirm a date for both replays. Many of Oran’s players will be involved in the Senior Hurling Championship Final next Sunday.