Roscommon and District Football League

Celtic begin defence of Roscommon and District Football League title with a win

Roscommon and District Football League

The weekend gone by saw the start of the forty fifth season of football for the Roscommon and District Football League.

By Vincent Brooks

In the Roscommon and District Football League Premier Division sponsored by “The Herald” Champions Castlerea Celtic began the defence of their title with a hard earned 2 – 1 win over newly promoted Brazukas at Roscommon. Peter Farrell gave Castlerea Celtic an early lead but Dannis replied for the Brazilians shortly afterwards. In the second half Nathan Bligh scored the winner for Castlerea Celtic.

Last seasons runners up Moore United started with a 3 – 1 win over newly promoted Ahascragh United. Alan Duffy opened the scoring for Moore United with seven minutes played. Kenny English won a penalty for Ahascragh United and Niall Keighery scored from the spot to leave the sides level at the break. Just after the restart Alan Birch saved a penalty kick to keep the home side in the game. However the relief was short lived as Alan Duffy scored two more before the end of the game.

Ballinasloe Town commenced their season on Friday night but were held to a 1 – 1 draw at home by Ballaghaderreen. Centre half Des Hope headed the home side in front five minutes before half time but Ballaghaderreen got an equaliser with five minutes left to play.

Ballymoe FC started their campaign with a 3 – 1 win over St Johns Athletic at Lecarrow. John Connaughton gave Ballymoe a goal advantage at half time. Mike Hannon levelled the game with ten played in the second half. James Connaughton and Adrian Collins added two more for Ballymoe before the end.

Last seasons Division 1 champions Shiven Rovers marked their return to the Premier Division with a 10–1 win over a young Skyvalley Rovers eleven at Newbridge.
Eric Walsh scored six and Francis Kilcommins Keith Murphy Pierce Mc Donagh and young Keith Crehan added one each. Andrew Phelan converted a penalty kick for the losers.

In the Norios Division 1

Cloonfad United beat Dunmore Town 2–1 at Cloonfad. Niall Rattigan gave Dunmore a 1- 0 lead after ten minutes and Andy Glennon levelled the game just after half time. Sean Doyle scored the winner for Cloonfad with just two minutes left to play.

Lough Harps beat the Castleplunket side CP Ajax 2-0 at Tarmon. Adrian Cregg and Michael Golden scored for the Ballinlough side.

The Glenamaddy side Glen Celtic won 4–1 at Rahara. Sean Commane converted a penalty kick to give Rahara a 1–0 lead after fourteen minutes. Cathal Hynes levelled the game three minutes later and Michael Heneghan added two more and Michael Geraghty one for Glen Celtic side.

Dysart had an impressive 6 – 1 win at Loughglynn. Paddy Neary gave them a 2 – 0 half time lead. In the second half Neary completed his hat tick and Keith Waldron Eoin Fallon and Paddy Keegan added one each.

In Division 2

Roscommon United beat Shiven Rovers 7 – 3 at Roscommon Jamie Bracken scored three Karl Garvin two and Cavanaugh Donnellan and Paul Mc Hugh one each for the winners. Mike Doyle scored two and Niall Flynn one for Shiven.

Moore United second side beat Moylough 79 2- 0 at Moore. Shane Kenny and Liam Ryan scored for Moore.

Strokestown United beat Skyvalley Rovers second side 6 – 1 at Taughmaconnell. David Parker and John Hagan scored one each while Robert Regan and Padraig O Beirne added one each for Strokestown. Stephen Cooper had earlier scored for the losers.

New side Hodson Bay Athletic lost 4 – 0 at home to the Dunmore side. Daniel Anic Calum Manhire Niall Rattigan and Anto Nimic scored their goals

Ballinagare beat Cam Celtic 2 – 1 at Ballinagare. James and Aidan Dowd gave the home side a 2 – 0 lead with Robby Fallon pulling one back in the second half.