Roscommon GAA Fixtures Roscommon GAA Results St Brigids

Roscommon GAA Championship Round-up June 20

Roscommon GAA Fixtures Roscommon GAA Results St Brigids

Round two of the Roscommon GAA Senior and Intermediate Football Championships took place over the weekend and there were also three games in the Junior A Championship.

Here is a brief round-up of the action.

Hodson Bay Hotel Senior Football Championship

Goals from Jack McDonnell, Darren Dolan, Senan Kilbride and from Karol Mannion gave St Brigids a comfortable win 5-13 to 1-9 win over 14 man Boyle in Kiltoom on Friday night. Overall Senan Kilbride scored 1-6 with Darren Dolan (1-2) and Karol Mannion (1-3) also in top form.

Eight Donie Shine points, (seven from placed balls) helped Clan na nGael to a 0-16 to 0-7 win over Pádraig Pearses in Johnstown. Ultan Harney continued his return to fitness, scoring a point. Emmet Kelly was Pearses top scorer with three points.

Roscommon Gaels sit on top of Section A with two wins from two. They defeated Castlerea St Kevins by 0-11 to 0-7 in a game played under difficult weather conditions at O’Rourke Park.

Michael Glaveys recorded their first Senior Championship win in ten years. They defeated St Faithleachs, who were without Diarmuid Murtagh, by 3-10 to 1-12 in Strokestown.

Goals from Cathal Cregg and James McDonnell helped Western Gaels to a 2-11 to 1-9 win over St Croans. Niall Higgins contributed seven points (six from frees) and Kevin Higgins made a welcome return. The St Croans goal came from a Kevin Smyth penalty.

Sunday’s local Derby between Elphin and Strokestown provided more goals than many of the other games combined; it ended Strokestown 3-16 Elphin 4-10. Strokestown made a dream start with Diarmuid McGann finding the net with the first attack of the game. In total they scored 1-5 before Elphin scored their first point and that ultimately proved the difference. Kevin Finn (1-4) and Sean Mollooly were Strokestown’s other Goal scorers. Frankie Cregg hit 3-2 for Elphin with Gerry Cregg picking up the other Goal. Fintan Cregg missed a second half penalty.

Mulryan Construction Intermediate Football Championship

Paul Garvey scored 2-6 as Kilmore got back to winning ways and enjoyed a comfortable 2-15 to 0-9 win over Kilbride in Strokestown on Saturday evening. Conor Devaney scored 0-6 for Kilbride.

A late Brendan O’Meara goal gave St Dominics to a 2-13 to 1-13 win over Oran. In what was a keenly contested first half Dominics led by 1-7 to 0-6 at the break – six of the points coming from Conor Fallon and the goal from Naos Connaughton. Oran were reduced to 14 men in the second half but it seemed to spur them on as they scored 1-5 without reply and led by a point with five minutes remaining. St. Dominics regained their composure and a great move was finished to the net by Brendan O’Meara.

St Aidans recorded a 1-17 to 2-5 win over St Barrys in Tarmonbarry. Johnni Coyne scored 1-6 in the first half to give the visitors a comfortable 1-12 to 0-2. St Aidans were reduced to 14 men in the 2nd half and a St Barrys fightback begun. Almost immediately Ronan McGowan scored a goal and Kyle Cawley punched the ball to the net in the dying moments but it was too little too late.

Shannon Gaels got back to winning ways in Croghan, defeating neighbours St Michaels by two points; 1-10 0-11. Best for Shannon Gaels were Shane McDonnell and Ciaran Lynch. Ronan Cox impressed for St Michaels, who remain on the bottom of the Table.

A 24th minute Gearoid Ennis Goal and four points from Niall Kilroy helped Fuerty to 1-7 to 0-7 win over Tulsk in Rockfield. Jack Conlon was the top scorer for the Tulsk men, kicking 0-4.

Ronan Cahill scored an injury time equaliser to earn Èire Óg a share of the spoils with Clann na nGael B. The game finished 0-12 apiece. Ross Nolan scored 0-7 for the hosts.

Warm n’Cosy Homes Junior A Football Championship

Two Goals from Enda Conneran and one each from Colin Canny and Enda Roarke helped Creggs to a comfortable 4-13 to 0-9 win over St Ronans. At half time the game was over as a contest as Creggs led by 2-10 to 0-2 and within 20 seconds of the restart Enda Conneran found the net.

Kilglass Gaels recorded a 1-14 to 2-7 win over St. Dominics B at home on Sunday. The hosts, aided by the wind, led by 1-6 to 0-3 at half-time and never looked back. With 10 minutes remaining the game they led by 1-10 to 0-5 but received a scare when goals from John Murray and Ryan O’Beirne plus points from Tom Gilleran and O’Beirne reduced the gap down to two points going into injury time but they held on

An injury time goal from Kealan Byrne was the difference between St Brigids B and Ballinameen on Sunday afternoon. The first half was played in heavy rain and Brigids led by 1-2 to at the break. The rain had passed for the second half and the game was more free flowing. A Ballinameen free in the last minute of normal time tied the game only for Kealan Byrne to grab the winner. It ended 4-5 to 2-8.