Roscommon and District Football League

Roscommon and District Football League Round-up April 10th

Roscommon and District Football League

Vincent Brooks looks back on the weekend’s action from the Roscommon and District Football League the race for “The Herald” Premier Division Title hot up.

In the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District Football League Moore United closed the gap on the leaders Ballinasloe Town to three points following a hard earned 2 – 1 win over Cloonfad United at Cloonfad. Moore United who have a game less played than the leaders took the lead through Mark Nicholson after twelve minutes of play. The home side were level with thirty three played thanks to Ger Fagan. Three minutes before half time Ronan Keogh scored what turned out to be the winner for Moore United. Any hopes Cloonfad had of making a come back were dashed when they had their keeper sent off with thirty minutes left to play and after that Moore were always going to win.
Ballaghaderreen kept their fading hopes of catching the leaders alive when they came from two goals down with five minutes left to play to draw 3 – 3 with Skyvalley Rovers (Pictured above). A strong wind made good football very difficult but to be fair to the two teams they teams playing and creating good scoring chances. Ballaghaderreen had the wind advantage in the first half but strong defending from Jason Clogher Mike Lynch and Shane Hardiman kept the game scoreless. Within two minutes of the restart a corner kick from Cormack Clogher was headed across goal by Mike Lynch and Mark Richardson scored for Skyvalley.
With twelve played in the second half Skyvalley Rovers added a second with a well struck corner kick by Cormack Clogher. Within a minute Shane Duffy created an opening for Gerry Ward to pull one back for Ballaghaderreen. Two minutes later Skyvalley added their third when Benny Landly created an opening for Jason Clogher whose loping shot gave Dermot Horan no chance.
Just when it looked like Skyvalley Rovers were on the way to victory Ballaghaderreen scored two goals in the last five minutes. Daniel Smith volleyed their first and Danny Browne won a penalty which he converted in the last minute of injury time.

In the battle for the second spot in Division 1 the Brazilian side Brazukas drew 2 – 2 at home to Ahascragh United and they share second spot with Ballinasloe Town second side. Joe Hunt gave Ahascragh United a 1- 0 lead with twenty played but Vando levelled the game a minute before the half time whistle. Dannis added a second for Brazukas just after the restart but Shane Furey got an equaliser for Ahascragh United with almost the last kick of the game.

Moylough 79 kept their hopes of making the runners up spot in Division 2 very much alive when they beat M D Town 4 – 0 at Milltown. Joseph White opened the scoring after fourteen minutes of play and James Fahy with a little help from a defender added a second just before the half time whistle. In the second half Joseph Whyte and Alan Conway added two more for Moylough.

In The Herald Roscommon and District Football League Challenge Cup Ballinlough side Lough Harps who play in Division 2 beat Division 1 side Ballinasloe Town 1 –0 after extra time at Ballinasloe. As expected the home side had the majority of play but outstanding performances from the Lough Harps keeper Rory Mannion and Stephen Comer and Daniel Freyne kept them from scoring. With no scores in normal time the game went to extra time. Gerry Cunningham headed a James Reynolds corner kick to the Ballinasloe Town net to secure a place for Lough Harps in the Quarter-Finals.
Castlerea Celtic are also through to the Quarter-Finals after they beat Ballaghaderreen second side 11-0 at Castlerea. Dominick Bligh and Ronan Curran scored three each Oisin Ward, Padraig Colleary, Peter Farrell, Jarlath Geraghty and Aaron Keane added one each.

*Roscommon and District Football League extend their deepest sympathy to the Duke family Roscommon on the death of their mother Eileen. May she rest in peace