Roscommon and District Football League Masters Oscar Traynor Cup

Roscommon and District Football League Round up March 20th

Roscommon and District Football League Masters Oscar Traynor Cup

Vincent Brooks looks back on the action from the Roscommon and District Football League, which saw action on Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

Ballinasloe Town go three points clear at the top of the Premier Division of the Roscommon and District Football League following a 1 – 0 win over St Johns Athletic away at Lecarrow. Liam Lynch scored the only goal of the game in the second half. They also beat Dysart 2–1 on Thursday with Manood Giumma scored both their goals and Niall Corbett replying for Dysart.

Like Ballinasloe Town, Castlerea Celtic recorded two wins over the weekend. They beat Cloonfad United 3 – 0 at Cloonfad and then beat Skyvalley Rovers 3 – 1 at Castlerea. Peter Farrell opened the scoring for Castlerea Celtic within five minutes and David Grehan replied for Skyvalley Rovers three minutes later.
Ronan Curran restored the Castlerea Celtic lead just before half time and Peter Farrell made sure of the three points when he scored again with sixty five played. Castlerea Celtic remain five points behind the leaders but with two games less played.

Ballaghaderreen kept their hopes of catching the leaders very much alive when they beat Dysart 5 – 1 at Dysart. Danny Browne opened the scoring for Ballaghaderreen with a well struck free kick with half an hour played. Shane Duffy and Gerry Ward added two more before the break. Gerry Ward added his second five minutes after the restart and man of the match Cormack Rushe completed the scoring with eight minutes left to play. While Ballaghaderreen are seven points behind the leaders they have two games less played.

Cloonfad United gave themselves a fighting chance of avoiding relegation to Division 1 when they beat fellow strugglers MD Town 2 – 1 at Cloonfad. Shane Fagan gave Cloonfad a 1 – 0 lead with twenty-three played and Brian Higgins replied for the Milltown Dunmore side with two minutes remaining in the first half. Ger Fagan scored the winner for Cloonfad United with fifteen minutes remaining.

Skyvalley Rovers drew 1 – 1 with Ballymoe on Thursday. Ethan Keogh for Skyvalley Rovers and Gregory Grogan for Ballymoe scored the goals.

With Shiven Rovers already crowned Division 1 champions the race for the runners up spot is really close with only two points separating Ballinasloe Town Brazukas and Ahascragh United.

Ahascragh United and Ballinasloe Town drew 1 – 1 at Ahascragh. With thirty five played Kenny English headed an inch perfect free kick from Lee Johnson to the Ballinasloe net. With fifteen left to play Warren Coyne converted a penalty kick to win a point for Ballinasloe Town.

The Brazilian side Brazukas and Glen Celtic were involved in a seven goal thriller at Roscommon before Brazukas won on a 4 – 3 score line. Marcos scored two and Marcelo and Kascper one each for the winners with Kay Sarpong Willie Comer and Ryan Mc Hugh replying for the Glenamaddy side.

Rahara Rovers were beaten 3 – 0 at home by Loughglynn United. Tim Bruen broke the deadlock on the stroke of half time and he added two more in the last ten minutes of the game.

In Division 2 leaders Lough Harps drew 0 – 0 away to the Milltown Dunmore side M D Town.

The Castleplunket side CP Ajax beat Roscommon United 1 – 0 at Roscommon to move into second place. They are seven points behind the leaders but with a game in hand. Darren Boyle scored their goal. Paul Mee scored in their 1 – 0 win over Skyvalley Rovers earlier in the weekend.