The Roscommon Under 21s have marched on to their seventh EirGrid Connacht GAA Football Final in a row following a 1-18 to 0-8 win over Sligo.
Picture credit: Stephen McCarthy / SPORTSFILE
The holders started brightly and led a defensive minded Sligo by 0-3 to 0-1 after 10 minutes. The lead increased to seven points in the 23rd minute when Kevin Farrell sent the ball to the back of the Sligo net following a pass from Ultan Harney, who was a late addition to the panel. Sligo got more into the game in the closing stages and at half-time Roscommon led by 1-7 to 0-5.
Roscommon scored the opening four points of the second half without reply before Cathal Henry replied with two for the home side. Roscommon clocked up a further five points in a row, including three from Hubert D’Arcy before Sligo scored their 8th and last point of the game in the 28th minute. Brian Kelly and Henry Walsh completed the Roscommon scoring before Referee Eamonn O’Grady blew the final whistle.
Roscommon will host Mayo in the Final on Saturday April 2nd. They enjoyed a comfortable 4-12 to 0-15 win over Leitrim in Carrick on Shannon.
Roscommon Team and scorers
1. Shane Mannion (St Brigids)
2. Jack Connnaughton (Clann na nGael)
3. Sean Mullolly (Strokestown)
4. Fergal Lennon (Clann na nGael) 0-1
5. Ronan Daly (Padraig Pearses)
6. Ultan Harney (Clann na nGael)
7. Brian Stack (St Brigids) 0-1
8. Tadhg O’Rourke (Tulsk)
9. Cathal Compton (Strokestown) 0-1
10. Kevin Farrell (St Faithleachs) 1-0
11. Henry Walsh (Kilbride) 0-4
12. Keelan Beirne (Strokestown)
13. Diarmuid Murtagh (St Faithleachs) 0-5
14. Hubert Darcy (Padraig Pearses) 0-4
15. Cathal Callinan (Clann na nGael) 0-2
Subs used: Brian Kelly 0-1 for Harney; Kevin Smyth for Murtagh; Ronan Raftery for O’Rourke; David Carleton for Callinan; David Neary for Beirne; Austin Kielty for Compton.
Man of the Match: Seán Mullooly